Wednesday, October 27, 2010

to ponder.....knowledge and ignorance

The greatest good is knowledge, and the greatest evil is ignorance. 
Socrates

Note: 
I was surprised to learn that, some of us (academician included) are unwilling to learn, unwilling to investigate information, unwilling to seek knowledge and willing to remain ignorant. We are more interested in deletion rather than investigation. And here we dare call ourself man of knowledge. How are we to be knowledgeable if we remain to be ignorance? So seek knowledge even though it is against our principles or stance. 
Here in Europe I've met with quite a number of people who are Islamphobia or who are against Islam. But I don't run away or shy away from them, I learn from them. I talk to them to learn of their ignorance about Islam. They bad mouth Islam, they talk ill about Islam, but I don't DELETE them, I learn from them, I learn of their ignorance. I became knowledgeable about their ignorance. 
In my classes I always teach my students that 1+1=3, so that they will investigate, to find out if what I'm saying is true, is 1+1=3. In Islam also it is said that "if a 'munafik' bring you a news", investigate (we have all the tools, the theories and equipment) not deletion . When you investigate you are seeking knowledge, when you seek knowledge you're not ignorant. 
Islam teaches also that "Allah prefer one single knowledgeable person who prostrate over 1000 ignorance who prays."
Even Malay proverbs says "tuntut ilmu sampai negeri China" and "cari ilmu dari buaian hingga ke liang lahat".
My friends, seeks more information, there are two side of a coin, you will not know that the coin is valuable if you don't see the other side of a coin. Because a coin with one side has no value. Similarly there are two side of an argument, you'll not be able to make a good decision until you have the knowledge of both sides of the
argument.
Finally my friends, no malice intended, seeks more information to be more knowledgeable, please I beg of you don't remain ignorant.

Dr Ahmad Azman Mohd Anuar
The Hague
Netherlands
Tel: +310634028638
www.drazman.blogspot.com

No comments: